Eight teenagers were hospitalized after becoming “acutely ill” during a field trip to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, California, on Tuesday (May 14).

The Los Angeles Fire Department said that an on-site security officer noticed the teens were sick and called 911. Paramedics with the fire department rushed to the tar pits and discovered that the teens “each had an altered level of consciousness” after consuming marijuana edibles. 

The fire department said that the teens were in fair condition. They were all taken to the hospital, where they underwent medical assessments. 

“Several high school students who were on a chaperoned field trip to La Brea Tar Pits became ill. Our staff acted quickly to assess the situation and seek medical aid. The students were treated on scene and taken to nearby hospitals,” the La Brea Tar Pits wrote in a post on X. “According to first responders, their symptoms were caused by something the students ingested on their own, unrelated to their visit to La Brea Tar Pits. We extend our care and concern to the students and their families and wish them a healthy recovery.”

 The students were at the La Brea Tar Pits when they became ‘acutely ill.’ | iHeart  Read More